Exclusive interview with our #take4Florida winner, Jeff!
Today we are pleased to introduce Mr. Jeffflorida who relentlessly posts photos on Instagram of his #take4Florida collections. Jeff has been participating for months, and won our September/October contest for most social media posts! Here is our interview that Jeff was kind enough to fill out : )
1. Tell me a little about yourself (degree/job/career-goals/etc.)
I’ve been in Florida for 30+ years. Have been in the restaurant biz all that time managing restaurants in Broward, and Palm Beach …even owned one for 3 years. And now I’m a chef/cook in a corporate dining facility.
2. What does the ocean mean to you?
Moved to Florida because we loved the beach, but sometimes with it so close you forget it’s there, we never went. About 8 months ago I went on a Sunday for sunrise and haven’t missed a Sunday since…it’s relaxing and tranquil.
3. How did you hear about #take4Florida?
Saw you on TV one night, and thought, hell I’m lazy, but I’m at the beach every Sunday, so why not do this small thing to help us all, the beach, the ocean, and everything living in the ocean.
4. What do you think about when you’re participating and you come across trash in, or near, our oceans? Is there any item that completely blew your mind?
A lot of times I get really mad when I KNOW stuffs been tossed and left on purpose. I see 10 beer cans left by the lifeguard stand and I know they were purposely left. Sometimes I see things left and I think, well maybe they just didn’t see this when they were leaving the beach. I try to be positive about people, but you can tell when that’s not the case.
5. Have you shared the #take4Florida initiative with any of your friends or family? What do they think?
All of them. They think its great I do this and always ask what I found each time…or look for my pix.
6. Do you have any recommendations for ways that we could reach a wider audience?
Well I’d love to see the local beach cities post some kind of sign by each entrance to beach. Something like…
“PLEASE CHECK YOUR AREA WHEN LEAVING AND PLEASE DON’T LEAVE ANY TRASH
WE ARE A TAKE4FLORIDA BEACH. IF EVERYONE IN YOUR GROUP PICKS UP 4 PIECES OF TRASH THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN LEFT BY OTHERS, WE CAN KEEP POR BEACHES PRISTINE AND GREAT FOR ALL.”
Maybe have the take4florida logo on each one.
7. Have you checked out PropheSEA.org and, if so, what do you think about it? Are you aware of the #FinBan4Florida initiative?
Just looked at it and the pix, haven’t gotten to check it all out yet, and no I don’t know this initiative.
8. If you had the chance to be on the Today Show (or Oprah, or Ellen, or even The Food Network, hahaha) and explain why everyone should get involved with PropheSEA’s #take4Florida initiative… what would you tell them?
I’d probably show some pix ive seen of sea life stuck in beer can rings or tangled in nylon ropes. Id try and show some beautiful beaches then some full of trash, try and get everyone into picking things up.